top of page
Search

How YouTube Royalties Work for Musicians

Updated: Oct 18, 2023

YouTube provides a platform for musicians to share their music with a vast online audience.


Understanding how royalties work on YouTube is essential for artists looking to monetize their content on the platform.


Here's a simplified overview of how YouTube royalties work for musicians:


1. Monetization through YouTube Partner Program (YPP)

  • Musicians can join the YouTube Partner Program once they meet eligibility criteria, such as having 1,000 subscribers and 4,000 watch hours in the past 12 months.

  • Once approved, creators can enable monetization on their videos by allowing ads to be displayed.

  • Ad revenue is a primary source of royalties on YouTube, with creators earning a share of the revenue generated from ads shown on their videos.


2. Ad Revenue Sharing

  • YouTube shares ad revenue with creators through a revenue-sharing model.

  • The exact earnings depend on factors like the number of views, engagement, and the type of ads displayed.

  • Typically, creators receive about 55% of the ad revenue, while YouTube retains the remaining 45%.


3. YouTube Premium Revenue

  • Musicians can also earn royalties from YouTube Premium subscribers.

  • YouTube Premium users pay a monthly fee to enjoy an ad-free experience, and a portion of their subscription fees goes to creators based on their watch time.

  • This revenue is in addition to ad earnings.


4. Content ID and Music Claims

  • Musicians can use YouTube's Content ID system to identify and manage their music on the platform.

  • This system helps artists claim ownership of their content and monetize it by allowing ads to be displayed on videos that use their music without permission.

  • Revenue generated from Content ID claims is another source of income for musicians.


5. Merchandise and Channel Memberships

  • Musicians can sell merchandise and offer channel memberships to their fans on YouTube.

  • These features enable artists to generate additional income by providing exclusive content and merchandise to their subscribers.


6. Live Streaming and Super Chat

  • Live streaming concerts or Q&A sessions can help musicians earn money through Super Chat donations from viewers.

  • Fans can donate money during live streams, and creators receive a portion of these donations.


7. Direct Sales and Affiliate Marketing

  • Some musicians use YouTube to promote their music, merchandise, or affiliate products directly.

  • They can earn royalties through direct sales of music, merchandise, or commissions from affiliate marketing links in video descriptions.


In summary, YouTube offers musicians multiple avenues to earn royalties and monetize their content. These include ad revenue, YouTube Premium, Content ID, merchandise sales, live streaming, and more. The specific earnings depend on various factors, but with dedication and a growing fanbase, musicians can turn their YouTube presence into a significant source of income.

 

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU

Our recently upgraded Pro Plan is the perfect option for attracting record labels while seeing a return on your investment. Here's how it works...

  • You are added to Editorial playlists

  • Songs on playlists average 117,000-216,000 monthly listeners & streams

  • Your distributor pays you approximately $7 per 1000 streams

  • You earn between $819 - $1,512


Comments


bottom of page